According to Bagdikian (1997), media serves as a source of education, entertainment, and information. It also serves as a watchdog to protect the public interest from wrongdoing and to raise public awareness. It should represent and speak for the public. It also establishes the timetable. Its responsibility is to be truthful, fair, accurate, and objective. It should adhere to the agreed-upon code of ethics and professional conduct.
Conventional media, such as television, radio, & newspapers, is a common way of marketing and disseminating information. Conventional media (electronic and print) play an important role in society.
While Social media is an innovative form of marketing and spreads information through the Internet and Social networking channels like Facebook, Twitter, Conventional media are the mass media institutions that predominated prior to the Information Age; particularly print media, film studios, music studios, advertising agencies, radio broadcasting, and television.
Despite the fact that the media landscape has changed dramatically and people are beginning to embrace new media, most people still get their information from traditional media (internet and digital communication technologies). The traditional media of today has changed dramatically as a result of a variety of factors. Some of these factors are the result of ownership, advertising, and pressure, as well as competition from new media.
How digital grew to impact brands
Today's conventional media is commercialized. To commercialize something means to turn it into a business. However, the term connotes corruption, which means emphasizing the profitable aspects, particularly by sacrificing quality or debasing inherent nature. The trend toward weaving advertising and promotion into the fabric of mainstream press, as well as the increasing popularity of sales and marketing in all elements of media production and structure (Andersen and Gray, 2008)).
Since the advent of social media, the way we consume and communicate information and news has shifted dramatically. For one thing, traditional media is no longer a one-way street: consumers can now participate in the conversation and influence the news.
Social media has also made it possible to access news in real-time, for example, just seconds after a major event occurs. Social media can also be used to identify trends and make predictions based on conversations in ways that would previously require thousands of dollars in survey costs. Finally, with the help of social sharing techniques, the shelf life of an article or story, as well as its reach, has skyrocketed.
Since its inception, social media has served as a virtual gathering place for your friends, family, and acquaintances to share ideas, options, memories, and more. This constantly on, increasingly mobile, integrated part of our lives has given us an outlet to say and share things like we haven’t before. For brands, this means there are opportunities and dangers to be aware of. We’ve compiled the main positive and negative social media impacts for brands using social media statistics.
Social media positive impact opportunities for blogs
- Social media consumer advocates. Social media platforms are like a megaphone for die-hard customers. They have an outlet to share with everyone how much they love the product. So give them every chance to do so and be sure to reward and acknowledge them when they do. According to Instagram, 80% of Instagram users follow at least one business on Instagram, and more than 200 million people visit at least one business profile every day. And 71% of consumers who have had a good social media service experience with a brand are likely to recommend it to others as reported by Ambassador.
- Positive brand and product recognition. According to GlobalWebIndex, social media is used by more than 40% of digital consumers to research new brands or products. This gives your brand or product a chance to shine, so make sure the information they see is positive and authentic. Don't pay for reviews because it will backfire even more if you are discovered.
- Social media advertising is an investment that is well worth making. Social media advertising has had a hugely positive impact on brands, from ROI to awareness and conversions. According to Instagram Business, 60% of Instagram users claim to have discovered at least one new product on the platform. According to Adobe, half of Generation Z and 42% of Millennials believe social media is the most relevant ad channel. Furthermore, according to Nielsen's Global Online Survey, two out of every three respondents were either highly or somewhat influenced by social context advertising. As a result, you should think about using social media ads instead of other digital ad platforms.
How can we use social media to strengthen our marketing strategies?
Let’s learn from what these social media statistics are showing us and develop a social media marketing strategy that is built to last. Based on the positive impact and negative impact of social media statistics, there are a few key steps brands and businesses can take to ensure they have a solid social media marketing strategy:
- Make it possible for your social media brand advocates to shine. When you give your followers the opportunity to share their opinions through contests or polls, you are giving your brand advocates the opportunity to rave about your brand.
- Reward and encourage ardent brand supporters. Provide discount codes or hold contests with prizes to reward those who follow you on social media. If they're paying attention to your account and following it, they deserve a small reward.
- Display your social feed proudly. A social feed on your website simplifies the transition from your social profiles to your website and vice versa. Putting a feed from a social media aggregator on your site creates an interactive window into your brand for visitors.
- Encourage good online reviews. Yes, there is a way to specifically encourage positive reviews. Brands can accomplish this by including information with their products and communicating with their customers to encourage them to review the product and what that review would mean for the brand as a whole. Brands should also make it clear that if customers have any issues, they should contact the company first before going online to leave a review on social media.
- Consider paid advertisements. Even small businesses and brands are reaping significant benefits from social media advertising. Find the social media platform where one primary audience hovers out and try it out.
- Respond to negative comments and reviews on social media as soon as possible. Try to resolve any complaints a customer has as soon as possible to avoid your brand paying the price later on.
Future of digital like AI advertising
AI is transforming marketing solutions by its ability to collect, analyze, apply, and interpret information. As it advances, so will the ability to use it to improve digital marketing strategies as well as provide valuable customer insights for businesses.
It is suggested that artificial intelligence will be essential in future digital products, particularly in the field of digital marketing. From the film "The Matrix" to Google AI, from the amusing and intelligent Siri to Tesla's self-driving car, more and more enterprises are implementing AI in digital marketing for their businesses. Artificial intelligence is reshaping the future of digital marketing.
How AI is transforming digital marketing?
With the ability to collect data, analyze it, apply it and then react to it, AI is revolutionizing digital marketing. As the amount of information on potential consumers grows, AI will become more important due to its ability to make data-based decisions quickly and accurately. Here are some ways AI is changing digital marketing:
- Recognize and analyze
- 2. When AI combines with AR/VR
AI is now more accessible for businesses, making it a valuable tool for digital marketers. It is irrefutable that AI largely influences the choices of your customers, helping to provide relevant recommendations and timely customer service. Looking at the ways that you can make use of it will better enable you to grow your brand and meet the expectations of your customers.